Difficult is never enough!

My photo
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
If dying over and over is something you enjoy (fondly) then this blog may be for you. I offer honest game reviews, news feed from my two explosive Youtube channels and a slice of my french thoughts (When my phoenix permits me, he's edgy sometimes...). Have a good read and enjoy your stay!

Ad by Chikita

April 12, 2011

My Dragon Age 2 Experience in Minutes!

First of all, I pre-bought Dragon Age 2 before its launch. Just to say how much I was waiting for this. I loved the first, as I loved the Mass Effect series, so I was looking forward to this.
Two days after its launch (Managing a Minecraft server is time consuming, but that's why I'm a fool), I finally have time to start playing. In the first game, I was first a good warrior, then an evil mage, so I thought I'd try being a rogue this time. On nightmare. Without any idea of how to manage my ability points and etc. Of course, it was catastrophic, and some hours later (of supplice, suffering and hatred) and a little mug of coffee, I decide to stick to the warrior, on normal difficulty for my first run.

Must I say SPOILERS?!?!?!

So, first off, intro, no matter what you say, or what class you pick (you cannot change your race. Charming), the intro will stay the same. You flee from the darkspawn, you meet some other survivors (Eveline and her husband) but she's useless at this point of the game, you fight some moar, and then I realised something. Warrior with a two-handed owns. A lot. Maybe it's because of the normal difficulty, but a single tap of my *1* key and 10 of these guys are transformed into red jelly. And I still have 3 attack skills just waiting to be used!

Anyway, we push through, boss time, super easy this time... I actually checked to make sure I was on normal. Then the story goes on, you travel to a big city, you cannot enter unless you work for either a band of mercenary or a guild of thieves. I need no pocket grinder, thank you! And then, the game tells you *one year later*.

.......wut? Who told the game I wouldn't love to raid keeps and pillage innocents?

Nope, Instead, you're treated with EIGHT FREAKIN' HOURS of secondary quests! Of course, the game have the balls to tell you (in a loading screen.......re-charming) that if you don't complete all the quests, they will disappear. Like I will sacrifice that much time to help every single losers in that city (even if I did, just to see if something special would happen. Nope, no medals).

Now, to be honest, some of these...uhg...filler quests are actually fun. Most of the choices you make, may it be good or bad, will stick with you. Still, to do that just to get 50 gold to then fund an expedition? It feels forced. Not only that, most of these quests are dull. Except if you're evil. Unfortunately, I decided to be gentle and etc. Oh well.

After all of that money grinding, you finally leave for the expedition, having to choose two characters who will follow you (you cannot change them for a while). This feels....completely retarded, but meh, fine, I'll do it. I'm not telling you who I picked. Then, there's a cinematic announcing the end of this grindy chapter, followed with a discussion between one of my allies and his interrogator. They talk about what happened in these mines and plainly tell the player that X character died.

...WOW. A little homage to the Nostalgia Critic (I'm a fan)...It feels like being forced to watch IT. It's hours long, and the finale is totally lame.

Then, after your little adventure where the character in which you probably invested a lot of time dies, you're back to the city THREE YEARS LATER! What's worse, nobody seems to remember that character existed, except the main character and your mom, and you can't engage a conversasion with someone when they're done meddling with you. Instead, you're summoned by some other important dude who ask you to, guess what, clean the city some moar in his stead.

Didn't played the game since...


So, the verdict. It's not THAT bad of a game and I'm having some fun here and there, but the first one was way more interesting. You cannot choose a race, your character talks, which sometimes leads to you choosing an option and your character telling something entirely different (it's rare, but it happens) and is probably why you cannot pick a race, there is NO FINISHING MOVE WHATSOEVER! (Adios superb dragon and ogre kills, instead they just fall down) and even if your decisions affects what happens, it's still a big on rails game with different endings (and not paths). So far anyway. I'll be able to tell you that when I'll finish the game.

That was my personal Dragon Age 2 experience,
Anzariel, signing out.

4 comments:

  1. I was considering buying this game, despite all I had heard about it- how bad can it be, right? but hearing this swayed my opinion. I'm saving my $60.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great move, Stevenely! You should buy the first one instead, it's a lot better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well this does sound interesting. I may not buy it because I'm not allowed to play video games at the moment, or that my computer cannot handle the epicness or nonepicness that is this game. Thanks for the fiery blog anza. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. My pleasure Cash. Make sure to start with the first game!

    ReplyDelete

Ad by Chikita